Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Freedom

While studying the scriptures this morning, I had an insight that I wanted to share from Mosiah 21-22.  This applies to anyone struggling with any sort of trial that they feel is restricting their freedom.  I highly recommend you read these chapters!


 And it came to pass that they [the people of Limhi] could find no way to deliver themselves out of bondage, except it were to take their women and children, and their flocks, and their herds, and their tents, and depart into the wilderness; for the Lamanites being so numerous, it was impossible for the people of Limhi to contend with them, thinking to deliver themselves out of bondage by the sword.
{Mosiah 22:2}


Have you ever experienced a trial that you felt bound by?
Have you tried to fight it, only to find that you are too weak to do it on your own?

We can learn from the people of Limhi.   When they faced such a trial, they found that fighting was not the answer.  It only hurt them.  But this verse points out that the only way they could deliver themselves was to "depart into the wilderness."

What could that mean?

To me, it means instead of fighting against my big trials, I am better off departing from them.  Departing does not mean giving into them--it means diverting your energy to somewhere/something good.  Mentally, this could mean diverting my thoughts away from whatever temptation I'm struggling with and losing myself in a good cause (e.g. working on my research, finding someone I can serve, reading something uplifting, exercising, etc.)  Mentally departing into a new and good place.

Anyways, those are my thoughts.  I hope it helps someone out there!  

Peace.

No comments: